We specialise in all things family law

Separation and divorce
Financial and property settlements
Arrangements for children
DIY Divorce

9 Reasons to Choose Collier Family Law

My name is Nardine, and I am Collier Family Law’s founder and Lawyer.

I not only have over 25+ years of Family Law experience and knowledge, but can truly empathise with the emotional and financial stress you are under – having been through two separations myself.

My team’s mindset is to get your case done quickly and affordably as possible – trying our best to keep your issue out of costly court proceedings. We are here to save you time, money and sanity.

Schedule your FREE 15 minute, no obligation chat so we can discuss your family law matter, and give you some guidance on what is involved and expected costs.

Our Specialities


Arrangements for Children: We know you only want what’s best for your children, and so do we. We will make sure we get the best arrangements possible for your children, so that you can focus on moving to the next chapter of your life.



Separation & Divorce: Recently separated and unsure of what happens next? Looking to have your divorce arranged so you can move forward with your life? Perhaps you just need some guidance on what to do before you make any decisions? We can help.



DIY Divorce: Are you looking to represent yourself to save money, but need a little guidance? Our affordable ‘Lawyer Assisted’ program offers you the help you need to effectively represent yourself (and we can do this from anywhere in Australia).



Division of assets:  If you’ve had a relationship breakdown or just need to organise a division of finances or assets, we can assist. We handle Property Settlements, Financial Settlements (including Superannuation splits) and Consent Orders.



Mediation: Mediation offers a way which you and the other person in the dispute, can talk to each other in a structured environment, with a trained mediator helping you to discuss your issues. Mediation can help keep your matter out of court, saving you time and costs.



Arbitration: Arbitration is a voluntary process whereby the parties agree that the chosen Arbitrator will decide their property case (or part of it) instead of going to court, and give them a written Judgement (an “award”). The parties agree on the process, the timetable and what information is to be provided. 



E-Consulting: You can now receive legal advice and assistance from your own home, anytime.

Email us your query and we will get back in touch with you within 24 hours with our estimate on fees to answer your query.



Advice: We have several blogs and videos discussing many different topics. Should you need more advice, don’t hesitate to contact our friendly team..


Meet US

Meet Our Team: Introducing our team who will help you with your needs during this stressful time.



Need help in the post-separation world?

I’ve written this very special book with lots of tips and hints to help you, and it’s all yours for free. The book covers:

  • The nine steps of negotiating a property settlement
  • The law of property division
  • How assets are divided
  • And lots of tips and hints to prepare you before you see a lawyer.

Nardine and the team at Collier Family Law were a dream to work with. They assisted me through quite a trying time with absolute professionalism and I highly recommend their services.

Adam - Alice Springs

Highly recommend Collier Family Law as value for money. Their willingness to advise & communicate on important issues, on occasion outside of normal hours, was greatly appreciated as was their personal touch. Thank You to all those involved for both my Family and recent Conveyancing work undertaken.

Chris - Cairns

I’ve been using Collier Family Law for almost 3 years now and wouldn’t go anywhere else. They are easy to deal with and very affordable. Against an extremely difficult other side when doing my Property Settlement Nardine kept working hard to get me the result I wanted. Thank you and I will be using Collier Family Law when needed in the future.

Joe - Cairns

Our Blogs and Videos

Here are some helpful blogs and videos where we answer the most common but tricky questions about family law.

But the kids don’t want to go….

By Articles

Article written by Nardine Collier
Family Lawyer Cairns & Alice Springs

So what do you do, if you have an agreement/court order which says the children will spend time with the other parent, and they just DO NOT want to go?

I have had many a parent tell me that “the kids don’t want to go”.  It ranges from kids saying they don’t want to go and then being fine about it once they have actually gone, to the other end of the scale where children are crying hysterically, simply refusing to get into the car/ get on the plane/get on the phone… Then of course there are the teenagers who just look at Mum/Dad and say “whatever, you can’t make me”.  And of course, they are right.

Then there is the other side of the story and the parent who is told “the kids don’t want to come” and who has a hard time accepting this to be true.

Children love both parents. They will pick up on one parent’s reluctance for them to see the other parent if it exists.  If you are the ‘lives with’ parent then you have an obligation to encourage the children’s relationship with the other parent. You actually have to be REALLY encouraging, like you would be if they had to go to the dentist  – you’d be trying (desperately) to make it OK for them.

The other thing that might help a parent struggling with feeling as if they are forcing their kids to see the other parent, is to know that just like daycare or school, once they are there, they probably are OK and might just even enjoy themselves! Of course, they are not going to tell you that, if they sense  –  or know – you don’t want to hear it!

My suggestion is to first try the idea of being supportive of the child’s time with the other parent. Have an honest think about whether there is a chance your child is picking up your cues. If however, hand on heart you can say that you honestly want your child to spend time with the other parent, then it is time to look at what else might be going on for your child.

If your child says ” But I don’t want to go”  – by all means ask why. But please try to do so in a way that isn’t critical of the other parent. For example ” Why is that? You had a great time last week” rather than ” Well I’m not surprised you don’t want to go when all your (other parent) does is sit on the couch..”

If your child is willing to tell you, just take a moment to process what they say. Are they possibly exaggerating a bit? Can you see that maybe there was a misunderstanding that has caused the problem? Maybe it really isn’t a good reason at all? You might be able to deal with it by saying that they should still go and you will sort it out with (other parent).

If at all possible encourage your child to go. If there is a genuine problem it would be good to raise that with the other parent in a non-critical non-confrontational way ( easier said than done); perhaps waiting until after your child has returned back to your care if it can wait.

If you feel your child is genuinely at risk and should not attend you must let the other parent know why, and see what can be done to resolve it.

You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t feel an inkling of satisfaction when your child indicates they prefer your company to the other parent but do try to imagine how it would feel if it was the other way around. I am sure you would be expecting the other parent to be doing what they can to ensure agreed arrangements or court orders are followed.

What is Child-Inclusive Mediation? 

Sometimes it is hard for parents to accept that what one parent is saying ( about why a child doesn’t want to go to the other parent) is genuine.  The other parent will want to question the child to get to the truth. This has great potential to cause distress to the child and in my view, should not be done by parents. A much better outcome would be to look at expert assistance by way of a Child-Inclusive mediation. This is a process whereby the child talks to a counsellor ( not with the parents in the room) and the counsellor relays back to the parents what the child has said, with the parents them reflecting on this in a mediation.

For more information on what a Child Inclusive Mediation involves, and whether it might be right for you, see my Blog “What do the kids want?” – Child Inclusive Mediation.

FAMILY TIES: How to have a happy family – even after separation!

By Articles

Even though the family unit is no longer, it is still possible to have a happy ‘family’ after separation (it might even be a happier one!). The key to a happy family, after separation- is good CO-PARENTING. I also think these tips apply to any family because as any parent/carer reading this article knows, it’s hard enough to parent at times, separated or not.

Read More

Contact Collier Family Law